||PINPOINT® ORP Monitor
American Marine is proud to introduce PINPOINT REDOX/ORP Monitor®, the only truly accurate and affordable continuous monitoring ORP (REDOX) system. Every PINPOINT REDOX/ORP Electrode features a 10-foot high suppression cable, BNC Connector as well as a 99.9% platinum sensor tip. A PINPOINT AC Adapter Kit is recommended for aquarium use since ORP values are most important when continuously monitored. Standard 9-volt battery can be used and should be replaced when visually indicated on the display as “LOBAT”.
NOTE: The REDOX/ORP Monitor unit is NOT waterproof and must be operated on a dry surface. Liquid contact on the printed circuit board will cause corrosion and void warranty.
Unwrap the protective plastic packaging from the PINPOINT REDOX/ORP Monitor unit. Remove the battery cover on the back of the monitor and install a new 9-volt battery or the PINPOINT AC Adapter Kit. Use the pop-up stand on back and place meter on a flat, dry surface. Carefully loosen and remove the plastic storage container installed on the end of the electrode. SAVE the plastic storage container for future use. Attach the BNC Connector from the electrode onto the BNC input of the ORP Monitor. Turn the connector 1/4 turn clockwise to lock the connector. Activate the unit by setting the power switch to the ON position. Your PINPOINT REDOX/ORP Monitor is now ready for calibration.
The PINPOINT REDOX/ORP Electrode is widely considered to be a superior grade and should be precisely calibrated to the PINPOINT ORP/REDOX Meter before use. Place the tip of the red electrode into the REDOX 400 Calibration Fluid and wait a minute or so for the measurement to settle in. Adjust the calibration screw on the front of the monitor to read 400mV. Calibration should be checked frequently for maximum precision. Do not reuse the calibration fluid. PINPOINT REDOX 400 Calibration Fluid also performs a thorough chemical cleaning of the platinum tip and the reference junctions during the calibration process.
As with any lab quality REDOX/ORP Electrode it is important to wait the full 24–36 hours before recording ORP values when continuously monitoring. During this period the electrode should “settle in” to the aquarium water. Clean the electrode occasionally (every 3–4 weeks) using a wet soft toothbrush with long bristles. Gently push the electrode tip down into the wet bristles and rotate the probe 3–4 times. This will clean the inner surfaces of the electrode as well as the platinum pin and reference junctions. Typical readings in established, well-maintained saltwater aquarium systems should be in the 350–450mV range. Artificial oxidation agents like potassium permanganate or ozone gas must be monitored with the PINPOINT REDOX/ORP Monitor® to prevent overdose.
Ionized Alkaline Water
High quality alkaline water typically has ORP measurements in the –300 to –700 range. The platinum tip of the electrode must be occasionally polished with the PINPOINT ORP Polishing Strip (available from www.alkalinewatertesting.com) to successfully measure negative ORP measurements. Polish the tip when the readings seem off or slow.
The probe should be stored in the protective bottle when not in use. pH/ORP probe storage fluid (available from www.alkalinewatertesting.com) should be added to the small bottle to maintain the probe response and keep the tip clean.
Calibration of the probe with PINPOINT +400 mV Calibration Fluid is recommended every other month for optimal performance. PINPOINT REDOX/ORP Electrode life is 18 months at which time the probe should be replaced. While calibration may be possible on an old probe, the probe's ability to react to changes in REDOX/ORP value will be severely limited and therefore not adequate for measurement.
Important Points to Remember
- PINPOINT ORP Monitor has been designed as a continuous aquarium monitor. The AC Adapter Kit is recommended however a regular 9-volt battery can be successfully used until “LOBAT” is indicated on the display.
- PINPOINT ORP Meter is NOT waterproof and must be operated on a dry surface. Liquid contact with the printed circuit board will cause corrosion and void warranty.
- The plastic storage container must be removed from the tip of the probe so that REDOX/ORP values can be measured.
- Calibrate the REDOX/ORP probe to the PINPOINT Monitor by using PINPOINT REDOX/ORP 400 Calibration Fluid. For best accuracy the calibration should be checked monthly with new 400mV fluid.
- If the probe is to be transported or stored, the plastic container should be filled with pH/ORP storage fluid. It is available from American Marine Inc. Do not use deionized/reverse osmosis or low pH water as storage fluid.
- Probe should be inserted about 1 inch into the liquid to be measured. Probe may be totally submerged if desired.
- Alkaline water produced by high quality water ionizers typically has negative ORP measurements in the –300 to –700 range. The platinum tip of the electrode should be polished as needed with the ORP Polishing Strip to sucessfully measure negative ORP measurements.
- Replace the probe every 18 months for optimum performance.
- The PINPOINT ORP Electrode should be mounted vertically +/- 45 degrees.
- Do not allow air bubbles to accumulate under a vertically installed electrode.
- The PINPOINT ORP Electrode contains an internal glass rod and should be handled/transported with care. If the internal glass rod becomes damaged, a new replacement ORP electrode must be purchased.
PINPOINT® ORP Monitor by American Marine Inc. is warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of 2 years from date of sale. Positive proof of purchase is required for warranty claim.
Removal or alteration of the serial number will void warranty.
American Marine Inc. will not be liable for any costs of removal, installation, transportation charges, or any other charges, which may result in connection with a warranty claim.
American Marine Inc. will not be liable for any damage or wear to products or livestock caused by abnormal operating conditions, water damage, abuse, misuse, unauthorized alternation or repair or if the product was not installed in accordance with the printed operating instructions.
Any defective product to must be sent freight prepaid with appropriate documentation supporting the warranty claim. Replacement or repair will be at the discretion of American Marine Inc. Typical turnaround time within 48 hours. Overnight delivery available.
American Marine Inc.
54 Danbury Road, Suite 172
Ridgefield, CT 06877 U.S.A.